Friday, June 09, 2006

Monstrous Regiment

By Terry Pratchett, of course.

This is my second time reading this book: I actually got it out for my sister (she often complains that she has nothing to read), but she said it was "slow" and "boring." So, I reread it on a lark last night.

Of course, it's amusing, as pretty much all Terry Pratchett books are. Other than that, I'm not sure what to say, except that I wondered if she had gotten past the first ten pages before forming her opinion. The lack of chapters is a definite drawback in learning moderation (i.e., stopping somewhere in the middle), so I stayed up until 2:00am finishing it, something I really have been doing less of lately.

What else is there to say? The thread about Shufti pursuing the boyfriend who got her pregnant reminded me of William Faulkner's Light in August. (She had only gone out through the window half a dozen times before she found she was unable to, or however it opens...)

And even though Sam Vimes is in this story, he really stays out of the spotlight for once.

And, of course, there's the stunning "surprise" "ending." So have fun!

No comments: