Monday, July 31, 2006

The Falling Woman

By Pat Murphy.

Creepy book. It reminds me of Pamela Dean's Tam Lin: a novel about modern day life (archaelogy in this case) with pieces of the supernatural mixed in. Elizabeth Butler, as the back says, is an archaelogist who sees the past... and on a dig in Mexico, she meets a Mayan priestess who can see the future, apparently.

I guess the description above also applies to Nadya, but I think this was a somewhat better book, although it (and Tam Lin) still doesn't appeal to me that much. In other words, I don't think I'll be reading them again.

The narration in this one is first person alternating between Elizabeth and her daughter. I believe I prefer first-person for some reason. It tends to make the story more interesting when a real person is narrating it.

I saw part of the ending coming from a mile away; just about as soon as the Mayan mentions Elizabeth's daughter, story logic demands what will eventually happen.

Not much more to say about these ones. I guess read it if you like heavily realistic sorts of fantasies like Tam Lin and I guess even Nadya, which upon reflection sort of fits in the same category, although set mostly in the 1800s. It's not my cup of tea, though.

2 comments:

Martin LaBar said...

As I recall, it won either the Hugo or the Nebula, so someone liked it!

Joshua said...

It was well written, but that doesn't mean I have to like it!

That said, I liked it better than Nadya.

If you're specifically interested, it won the Nebula (according to the cover anyway).